Thursday, July 28, 2011

Writing Prompt #1

I'm glad you guys are excited about the writing prompt idea. So here's your first one:

"What I Did on My Summer Vacation."

But I want ludicrous, spectacular falsehoods. Make up every bit of it. Were you a stowaway on the last space shuttle mission? Too bad. Write about something even crazier.

Post your prompt-response (someone please give me a better term for that, ugh) on your blog, and post a link in the comments. I promise to read all of the entries. Maybe later this summer we can have some kind of a grand prize-- a query letter critique or something, if you like. Let me know what sounds fun.

Don't have a blog? Why not start one?

EDIT: So, let's do this: post a response to any of my writing prompts between now and August 26, and I'll pick one winner whose query letter I will then critique on the blog the following week. (We can remove the identifying details, if you want; we'll figure that out later.) I'm not promising representation, but I'm not ruling it out either...

Tell your friends!

11 comments:

Allan Petersen said...

Hi Courtney -- really like the idea. Here is my "prompt response." Ha ha ha. Get it? Because it's fast, and it's a response to ... sigh. Never mind.

http://elderswill.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation.html

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! I'll probably give this a shot next week sometime...any particular deadline in mind?

Courtney Miller-Callihan said...

Good question, Brian. I'm going to arbitrarily say that the deadline to participate in the writing prompts contest will be August 26, which is a Friday. We'll do the winner's critique the following week.

I'll update the post accordingly, too.

Anonymous said...

What I did on my summer vacation...I just took 40 kids who are blind on a trip to Washington DC where the tourguide in the Capitol building let them climb on the statues to see them, and the tourguides at the zoo let the kids feel elephant poop so they could see that the hay they eat goes right through them...

Anonymous said...

what im doing with my summer is ludicrous, creating freak power in jordan, please see www.freaksofarabia.com for details

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

This is so fun - thanks for hosting! Here is the link to mine:
http://inadvertentyogini.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation.html

And to save you the trouble of clicking over:

What I Did on My Summer Vacation: A Haiku Re-Imagining by This Inadvertent Yogini

Conquered Voldemort!
Vanquished bridesmaids, Smurfs, bad boss!!
Sigh. Just saw movies.

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting this. I took it a different direction. Sorry, I can never follow directions: just ask my wife.

http://robertamichael.blogspot.com/2011/08/agent-courtneys-writing-prompt-1-entry.html

I hope you enjoy it.

Kim Batchelor said...

Paris Diary: What I Did On My Summer Vacation,

http://kimbatchelor.blogspot.com/2011/08/paris-diary-what-i-did-on-my-summer.html

Sparky said...

Hi Courtney! Late is better than never, yes? Here is my entry...

http://scrap-paper-notebook.blogspot.com/2011/08/writing-prompt-1.html?zx=b458fe67c2f05dc5

fOIS In The City said...

I am finally caught up with the order. Saved this for the w/e because it's the longest. Hope you enjoy :)

http://ramblingsfromtheleft.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/agent-contest-writing-prompt-1/